HYDROLOGY AND WATER RESOURCES ENGINEERING ASSIGNMENT 1
HYDROLOGY AND WATER.docx (Size: 29.15 KB / Downloads: 28)
1. What is the hydrological cycle? Give a brief description of different components of a hydrologic cycle.
2. Explain cyclonic, convective and orographic precipitation.
3. Describe the methods of calculating average depth of rainfall from catchments.
4. Describe various methods of computing average rainfall over a basin.
5. Enlist different types of rain gauges and explain the use of a non-recording rain gauge in the measurement of rainfall.
6. Define the following terms
(1) Precipitation (2) Infiltration (3) Interception (4) Runoff (5) Transpiration
7. (i)Explain ‘Evapotranspiration’. Enlist different methods of measurement of Evapotranspiration and describe any one of them.
(ii)The average rainfall over a basin of area 50 ha during a storm was as follows:
If the volume of runoff from this storm was measured as 25000 m3, determine the φ -index for the storm.
8. What is transpiration? What are the various factors that affect transpiration?
9. How would you measure transpiration? What is transpiration ratio?
10. Differentiate between the infiltration capacity and the infiltration index. How would you measure the infiltration capacity?
11. Explain the terms :
i. φ index
ii. W index
iii. W min index
12. Discuss factors affecting infiltration.
13. Thiessen polygons constructed for a network of 10 rain gauges in river basin yielded thiessen weights of 0.10, 0.16, 0.12, 0.11, 0.09, 0.08, 0.07, 0.11, 0.06 and 0.10. If the rainfalls recorded at these gauges during a cyclonic storm are 132, 114,162, 138, 207, 156, 135, 158, 168 and 150 mm respectively determine the average depth of rainfall by thiessen mean and arithmetic mean methods. Also determine the volume of surface runoff at the basin outlet if 35% of the rainfall is lost as infiltration. Take the area of the basin as 5800 km2 and express your answer in million cubic meters.
Please Use Search http://projects-seminars.net/search.php wisely To Get More Information About A Seminar Or Project Topic